Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sewing review - Simplicity 3566


Whoa there! Cut, sewn and reviewed in one evening? Wow. (Yeah, laundry didn't get done. Whatever. I rather have a shirt.)

Fabric: A Joann remnant bin find from the last shopping trip on the weekend after Christmas. There was 0.8 yards, and it cost $1.50 or so.

Pattern: Simplicity 3566 - view C.

Pattern adjustments:
Very little - just took 2 inches off the torso (lower front piece, and back, the pattern had lines on where to adjust.)

Notions:
1 black invisible zipper, from stash.

Cost: Fabric - $1.50. Pattern, either $1 or $2, bought during pattern sales. Zipper, $1. In all, under $5.

Time taken: About 3 hours, not including the time taken to cut the pattern tissue.

Good things:

1. Well, I like the fabric.
2. It went together very quickly.
3. I used a tip from RTW, I put in the zipper so it opens upward, not downward, and the open ends are at the hip. (Does that make sense?) Anyway, I love that - usually the zipper under my arm makes me itch.

Bad things:
1. I cut a size 10, grading to a size 12 at the waist & hip. But the top feels tight at the bust. I think its because this fabric is a medium weight.
2. There's a weird lumping of fabric around my waist? I have no idea why - it is especially bad on the non-zipper side, so it isn't my zipper insertion skills. It isn't too tight at the hip either, so I really don't know why. (Off grain cutting? That's all I can think of.)

The grand conclusion? I'm a little blah on this top (because of the lumping thing). But, it will get worn - its very perfect under sweaters and the like.

No comments: