Monday, June 01, 2009

On the bookshelf...

As I said in my last post, I recently became a library member. (To explain why this deserves comment - I have to get out of my front door and cross the street to get to the library. That's it. Its only taken me 11 months to do it.

Anyway, I'm taking full advantage of the ability to order from any branch and have it delivered to my branch. Here's what I've been reading in the last few weeks.


The Enchantress of Florence - Salman Rushdie
. I liked this book! I grew up in India, and we learned all about the Mughal dynasty in history class. This book was an interesting take on a world that I knew a little about. (However, suspend belief in things like the linearity of time.)

House of many ways - Dianne Wynne Jones Ah, I really, really wanted to love this book, I really did. But alas, no. It was ok, readable, but nothing special. (On the other hand, this book is sort of a sequel to my all-time favorite book - Howl's Moving Castle, and Castle in the Air is also really good, and I recommend both of them highly.)

I'm reading Alice Waters and Chez Panisse right now. I'm finding it a bit heavy going, to be honest. Its filled with listings of menus, names of people that worked at the restaurant, etc. And detail of this sort mostly bores me. I wanted to be interested, but I don't think I'm cut out to read biographies, much though I'd like to.

No comments: