Saturday, August 21, 2010
Yay! One more item off the to-sew list. Announcing your intent on your blog is evidently really good pressure to get it done.
So this is my pencil skirt. Simplicity 3631.
- The color and texture of the fabric. I bought this fabric in NY, it was a remnant in a bin, and I paid either $1 or $2 for it. (I'd spent a ridiculous amount of time at this store, and I think the guy just wanted me out of there. )
- Inner construction details. French seams throughout, a fun lining color, and lace at the hem. (I'm wearing the skirt right now, but I'll try to remember to take photos of this at some point.)
- The skirt is a bit snug (I cut the right size, but used French seams, and I think I use more than 5/8 of an inch when I do that.)
- This skirt sits right at my waist, but since it has a narrow waistband, it doesn't feel contemporary + high-waisted, it feels 80s and high-waisted.
- Darts in the front - I think this just serves to emphasize my tummy.
- Zipper in the side seam. There's a center back seam, I'm not sure why the zipper isn't there instead. It is near-impossible (for me, atleast) to get a smooth zipper over the hip area. This one isn't bad, but it isn't great either.
For the record - while these photos are making me look exceptionally shapeless, I think the top is responsible for most of that. This top is honestly only meant to be worn under a jacket (if at all.)
Posted by Reethi at 1:44 PM