Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hello there!

I decided that if I wait until (a) I have spare time, (b) my camera is charged, (c) I have something to show, it'd probably be another 2 months before I'd post.

So, here's a picture-less post.

Dear readers, my life is always a little busy (all self-imposed), but in the last few months, extra-busy-crazy! Here's why:

- I bought a house. Umm yeah. After 18 years of renting, I finally took the plunge and bought a wee little house. For those that know, Toronto real estate prices are absolutely insane - and this feels like a very big deal. I moved in at the end of July/start of August, and the house is still standing. (This is my measure.)

- The house comes with a back yard and a pocket-sized front yard. The front yard has a lawn. I now need to mow a lawn? And garden? Dear readers, I am becoming my parents.

- It felt like I was on vacation most of June. (This isn't true, I was away for two weeks, but there's all kinds of catch-up stuff after you go on vacation - busy!)

- It felt like I was packing all of July, in anticipation of the move. Aargh. I didn't declutter at all, so now I have a basement stuffed to the gills with unpacked boxes. (Including some fabric, groan!)

- In between that, there were cottage weekends, weddings of friends, camping trips, one very big house-warming party...

- Oh, and I have a friend staying at my place for the next three months.

Busy.
 
Let's talk instead about sewing, shall we?

- I sort-of finished a dress. I wore it out, but decided I needed to do something clever about the midriff ruching, since it puddles unattractively right now - not quite what I was going for. But it's almost done!

- I have a sewing room! Other people might call this a guest room. (It's really the size of a generous closet.) But I have it! Even though I haven't been in it at all, I'm delighted about this.

- Oh, the last Fabricland to be subway accessible (York Mills Center) shut down at the end of July. This was not good, I was rather unhappy about this. But on the bonus side, they were selling their pattern cabinets at a pretty deep discount, and I bought one! Yay! Instant pattern storage solution for $50. (Side story - the pattern cabinet is 75% full. I could run a store out of my house. How many patterns do I have! Aargh.)

- Due to all the moving busyness, my sewing machine is off to be serviced. I have an old one I'm using as a spare, but I prefer mine. Hopefully, my sewing machine will be back this weekend.




7 comments:

Claire S. said...

Congratulations !!! Enjoy your new place :-)

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Congrats on getting a dedicated sewing room!

Kay said...

yayyy! congratulations!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations on your new house!! That is wonderful news, but sad to hear that your local fabric store has closed down.

Anonymous said...

Congratulatons on buying a house, I'm sure you will love it!!!
ps where is it?

alpa said...

Wow... Congratulations on your new home. Would love to see some pics if you are able!

Kristy Chan said...

congratulations on your house purchase, welcome to the daunting world of home maintenance, and *shudder* renovation! I bought my house 10 years ago, a little do it upper and we are STILL renovating.

Seriously, glad to hear you havem't given up blogging, and am looking forward to seeing some home dec projects