Wednesday, March 27, 2013

In which a sewist (me) makes something out of nothing...

A rather long time ago, my friend Caroline gave me some fabric that was left over from a skirt she'd cut. There was hardly almost no yardage at all - just the bits and pieces that are left over when you cut a pattern out. The kind that's maybe 12 inches or so wide, and the full length of your fabric? She wasn't quite sure what to do with it, and I confidently proclaimed that there was enough there to make something, anything.

Umm. Yeah. There was, but only just. Still - challenge completed.

Excuse my bra strap. Oh, and I painted my living room yellow. I love it, but there's no denying it - it is bright! 

I was looking for a princess-seamed (or similar) pattern - since I wouldn't have enough width to cut either the front or the back on the fold. Thankfully, Simplicity 2938 came to the rescue. I've made this up before - both as a top (first version, second version) and as a dress - so I knew the pattern well, didn't have to make any modifications, and could use this as a quick little stress-relief make.

As an aside, to say that the last month and a half have been chaotic is the understatement of the century. It has been utter, complete, total chaos in these parts - at least part due to a bathroom remodel. I've fled to my parents - almost in tears - more than once during this process. Understandably, as a result, sewing output has been tragically low.

Still, thankfully, my apartment and my temperament are both slowly re-approaching normalcy. I'll do a blog post at some point showing off both the chaos and the finished bathroom.

4 comments:

SarahLizSewStyle said...

I understand the stress involved with builders - going to have to do it again one day myself. It's a wonder you manage to make the top at all with all that going on. I love the yellow wall by the way.

Sally said...

Love the yellow... I painted all the doors of my kitchen cupboards that yellow one day... Hubby was a little surprised (easier to ask forgiveness than permission ;) ). Great top too.

Clio said...

Wow, that really has been a workhorse pattern for you! The top is great and definitely worth finding a pattern to squish one more things out of that fun fabric!

Sally said...

At the end of last year SewRuth (http://sewruth.blogspot.co.uk) nominated my blog for a blogger award. It has taken me a while to pass on the accolades, but I'm delighted to let you know that I've nominated your blog in my list of nominees. Please head on over to Sally Sews Something (http://sallysewssometing.co.uk) to pick up your award.... and thanks for all the inspiration! :)