Saturday, October 04, 2008

Why I haven't been posting...

I've been cooking

Indian-style tomato gravy, used for curries. I'm going to freeze this batch, and then pull it out as needed when I'm being lazy (most weekdays.)



How to make? Heat oil, add cumin seeds, chopped onion, garlic and grated ginger, saute till it turns brown. Add chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric and salt and any other dry masala (I used 2-3 tsp of Shan's meat and curry masala) , fry for 1 minute . Add chopped tomatoes. Simmer, about 30 minutes.

I've been preserving and freezing

Ontario cauliflowers were on sale here a week ago (for 99c a head), so I bought a bunch of them, and froze. Again, this is excellent for weekday meals. Instructions here.



Also, did the same for green peppers.



I also made dill pickles, but those are at my parents, where they are sealing. I'm a bit nervous about these, but we'll see!

I've been making a zillion bags

For my nephew's birthday. My cousin is going to put the kids' giveaway stuff in these bags. (18 bags... an excellent opportunity to sew down the stash!)



I've been listening to amazing music!

I saw Delerium and Vieux Farka Toure in concert last week. Social life overload! The Vieux Farka Toure concert, in particular, just blew me away. (Also, umm, how should I put it? The boy's remarkably easy on the eye. What a hottie!)

Here's a YouTube video of my favorite song on his debut album.

But the most important reason?

I've had a new addition to the household



Awwwwwww - what a cutie! She's my foster cat (I've never owned a pet before, so I thought this would be the responsible thing to do.) Cleaning out the litter box is not, by any means, my favorite chore, but she's so much fun! Such a sweetie... Her official name, according to the foster people, is Star. I decided that Star's a pretty boring name, so I've renamed her - her new, better name is Biscuit.

I do have a current sewing project.



I'm making Butterick 5212. Its slow going, for all the above reasons... Plus, I need to go get a zipper. I honestly am not sure why I'm making this, I need fall clothes far more than another dress. However, I only have a few hours of work left on it, so maybe the next thing will actually be useful.

5 comments:

Christina said...

When I entered post-college adulthood, I volunteered at my local animal shelter to act as a foster parent, and I ended up keeping the first kitty they gave to me! I stopped fostering then because I knew I would end up keeping them all. I'm sure the shelter gets so annoyed with people like me.

Have fun with Biscuit, and glad to see you again!

Anonymous said...

Is this the place i comment on the bags? I really find it hard to part with them...

Summerset said...

Yum, Indian food! What a pretty kitty, I know you'll give her a good home. The dress could be useful. Depending on how much extra ease you have and the fabric you've made it in, there might be a sweater and tights in its future.

angie.a said...

Aw!! Beautiful kitty!! Congrats to the new mama :D

Having a contest on the blog...Come play!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!