Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sewing review - Vogue 8386



I'm not sure if this dress caused my biggest sewing slump yet, or if it was inadvertently caught in the middle. All I knew is, all I had to do was sew the hem, and sew the bodice to the skirt (already basted, too) and it took me a month to do, due to vanishing mojo.

That being said, I really like how this dress came out. It is my not-so-dressy alternative to the little black dress. The fabric is from Fabricland - it has been sitting in the stash for almost a year. (Waiting to be made, I always knew, from the day I bought the fabric, that Vogue 8386 was what I was going to use it on.)

This is my first Vogue pattern, and for the most part, things went smoothly. However, two things caused me a bit of grief.

- The instructions tell you to understitch the self-lining on the bodice - but this caused my bodice to stretch out, which I was NOT happy about.
- To get the bodice to fall right, without huge gaping in the front, or flashing the entire city took about a hundred tries basting the damn thing in place. And I'll probably still need a safety pin, or double-sided tape (just like the celebrities!) when I wear it - I'll be too self-conscious otherwise.

Right now, I've plans (damn this social life) Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I've a nagging feeling I have something going on Tuesday as well, which leaves me no time to sew. Aargh. I do have a project on the go - BWOF 02-2009-108, the boatneck tee, which everyone in the world has made. Also, my birthday's coming up, and like Trena, I want to make a birthday dress. We'll see.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

What a great dress - I love the dots!

Summerset said...

Very cute dress - nice for summer. I'm sure you'll come up with a way to fix the bodice for everyone's sake!

Anonymous said...

Reethi, I love the dress!! You could try wearing a camisole or lacy tank underneath in any bright color. I think it would look cute.

anuradha said...

Very cute!I love the way the fabric falls!!

Sew Shy said...

This dress looks fabulous on you!

Anonymous said...

love this dress..wonder if i will fit in it..(princess)

Lisa said...

I love this dress on you , the fabric is lovely.