Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Early morning cooking


Probably as a result of jet-lag, I woke up at the unheard-of time of 7.00am, which actually meant I had time to cook and eat breakfast before I left for work. (I am not a morning person - this is very unusual for me.)

Let me detour here for a bit.

One of my favorite cookbooks is Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking. (To be precise, it is my second favorite cookbook. The top cookbook on the list - Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India.

Anyway, as one of my 2010 goals (and yes, this is reasonably early to be thinking of it, I know), I'd like to cook every recipe in this cookbook. (And, ideally, take a photo, which I'll post here, with other commentary as necessary.)

Back to breakfast.

From the cookbook, I made Chaura na poora aka black-eyed pea pancakes. (The link provides a very similar recipe to the book.)

Soaked black-eyed peas...


are ground with spices to make a batter...


which is cooked on the stove-top...


making an appalling mess on the counter.


When done, (in about the same time it takes to restore a semblance of order to the counter-top)


it is plated and eaten. Yummy!


Chaura Na Poora, served with Goan Cabbage Salad and Green Chili Pickle (the reddish on the right.) All recipes from Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking.

2 comments:

Christina said...

That looks delicious! Would be a nice change from my morning oatmeal. I'm looking forward to your 2010 cookbook challenge :)

Alse said...

This cookbook is one of my favorites! I've even thought about cooking my way through it, but always seem to turn to a dozen or so TNT recipes. So I'm looking forward to hearing about your discoveries!