One of the techniques I'd like to be better at is plaid/pattern matching, so when I saw the Sewing Guild's focus on new techniques for a SWAP, I was intrigued.
I might participate - I'm still pondering.
But this skirt did give me an opportunity to practice the pattern matching.
I used the skirt pattern in Simplicity 4047, which I used to make my Mondo-inspired giant houndstooth skirt (which I did finish, an updated picture is required.) It's a pretty basic skirt pattern, but gave me the opportunity to practice pattern-matching in the back and the sides.
I carefully cut in a single layer, and also pinned very carefully as I was sewing on each of the lines in the plaid to ensure that I'd get as much alignment as possible. I did ok, not great, but not bad at all.
Here's the results - Front:
First side seam:
The other side seam:
And the back (the worst of it - the pattern doesn't match up well around the zipper area, even though I did interface the wool for stability before installing the zipper):
Finally, pretty lace at the hem, I love this little inner detail:
(Though there are no pictures of it, the skirt is lined, the wool is too scratchy to wear without lining. )