Friday, April 08, 2011
One of my most recent pattern acquisitions was McCalls 6200. Yesterday evening, I was looking for an instant-gratification project, so I pulled out this pattern, some fabric I'd recently bought at Fabricland (it was a remnant, I can never resist those), and started cutting.
Of course, it was only after I cut out the front that I realized I didn't have enough fabric. (Yes, I know I should have measured, but I was also setting up my new laptop at the time, and I was cutting on the floor, while trying to prevent Biscuit from walking on my fabric. I just wasn't paying attention.)
And so, the dress has no sleeves. I had to do a little tweaking to get it to work (the sleeve opening was too low, so I sewed that seam higher to get it to not be quite as revealing.)
Despite the oops! - I like this dress a lot. I love the fabric, it feels nice to the touch, and I'm currently drawn towards shades of blues and purples (see this shirt as evidence). It'll work well for summer, and I can wear it in spring and fall with tights and a jacket.
Oh - definitely worth mentioning - check the amount of ease in this dress. I typically cut a 10 on top, and a 12 on the bottom. I went down a size for this, 8 on top, 10 on the bottom, and I think it turned out perfect.