Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January goals, a WIP, and more...

At the start of the month, I wrote down two sewing goals, along with how long it would take to complete these goals.


1. Sew a pair of pants (5 hours)
2. Finish (10 hours)

 - Cream t-shirt,
 - Lace t-shirt
 - Grey and pink blouse, 
 - Orange dress, 
 - Black t-shirt 

I'm actually doing pretty ok on the goals - I've finished a few of the projects I cut out over the holidays, and I've identified fabric for pants.

The problem though, is while I'm trying to stay focused on the goals, there's a zillion little voices in my head, trying to distract me. Some of these:

- A woolen black dress would be such a wardrobe basic - I'd wear it every single week. 

- If I make my cream suede skirt, I'd be able to match my grey and pink blouse to it. And then I'd actually have a finished SWAP outfit.

- Look how cute Robin's hoodie is - I want to make myself one!

- My niece just had a baby boy. Should I make a baby quilt? 

- What about this half-finished black and white dress that's taking up all the space on the dining table? I should finish it before I cut out a new project, no? But then again, it doesn't fit, and I need to lose weight. Yuck*. 

- Atleast in 2012, I should make something from each Burda. 

- How do I not have cute sleeping clothes when I know how to sew? I should fix this!

- Should I participate in the Sew Weekly sewing challenge? 

Anyway, as you can see, there are a billion thoughts swirling around, preventing me from getting anything done.

Last night, one of those deviant thoughts took center stage.

- What about this half-finished black and white dress that's taking up all the space on the dining table? I should finish it before I cut out a new project, no? But then again, it doesn't fit, and I need to lose weight. Yuck*. 

This dress has been sitting on my table forever for the last 6 weeks. I've been procrastinating on this for multiple reasons - (1)The fabric is very, very ravelly, and it needed serger involvement, which in turn required getting the serger out of the box, (2) it's a lined woolen-ish dress, and therefore has a lot of steps, and (3) at first try-on, it is sausage-in-a-casing tight. Ugh. Anyway - just because of the room it's taking up, I'd like to get it done this month, even if I'll have to wait a while to wear it.

Last night, I worked on setting in the sleeves. In the main dress, I still have to get the zipper in. The lining isn't constructed at all, and then of course, I'll have to integrate the two. I really just need to get it done - I use my dining table both to sew on and to cut on, and with the serger out and the sewing machine out, I haven't been able to get anything cut out. (And eating - forget about it. I eat on the couch in front of the TV. Bad Reethi.)

*Which is a good lead-in to a rant. I went to my gym last night after a few months of not going. My gym used to be a nice independent gym - but sometime in November, it got taken over by a big-box gym. I've a bit of an irrational dislike for this big-box gym, and added onto my natural avoidance of the gym anyway, I just haven't made it in. Still, last evening, I gave myself a stern lecture and headed there - but it was a zoo! None of the machines were free - it was super crowded, and I'd have to stand next to someone working out to stake my place out for a machine. Yuck.

So, I don't know how I'm going to handle this. Evidently, this is the new normal - the gym is a zoo between 5pm and 7.45pm. I'll have to either wake up and go in the morning (who am I kidding?) or work out at 10pm (assuming I haven't been out in the evening.) The most obvious time to work out - when I get out of work - seems to be the most obvious time for everyone else to work out as well. Maybe I should work out at lunch instead. (I'm lucky, both work and the gym are 5 minutes away from home, making this option possible.)

2 comments:

Clio said...

"there are a billion thoughts swirling around, preventing me from getting anything done." - You KNOW I'm right there with you! Gaaah!

Try back at the gym in February. I feel like every January my gym gets packed, but by Feb, most people have called it quits on their resolution.

Faye Lewis said...

I have two cents worth of input on which direction to go (mind you, I created a 20 item Fall Hit list that I think I may have completed 5 items from),so you'll have to rate my credibility yourself. Looks to me like you have a pretty good hand on completing the list you posted. You've only got the top and pants to do before you complete that list. I don't know how much of the 10 hour slot you have left, but the t-shirt will take no time at all to finish. Then you've allowed 5 hours for the pants. In a matter of about 6 hours sewing you will be COMPLETELY free to jump on those other items that are mentally calling to be done. I KNOW YOU CAN GET IT DONE!