Thursday, December 17, 2009

Cooking catch-up, plus, I've reached the 10% mark!

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

6am cooking:
I'm not at all a morning person, but I had an early morning meeting today, which involved me having to wake up at 6am, in order to be at work by 7.45am. To fortify myself, I made scrambled eggs with cabbage, and obviously, a lot of coffee. The scrambled eggs needed a bit more salt, but were otherwise delicious. And of course, I'd have never thought to use cabbage in scrambled eggs by myself, which is why this cooking project is so important for me.

Breakfast, December 17, 2009 - Scrambled Eggs with Cabbage


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Night Eating:

After a bit of a hiatus last week, movie night returned this week. The movie - Hot Fuzz. Ridiculous, yet funny. The food? Pictures below.

Movie night eating, December 15, 2009: (Starting at top right, and working my way through clockwise) Carrots with raisins and dates; yogurt with garlic; brown rice (not from cookbook), lentils with spinach (see previous post) and cauliflower pickled with dill



Cooking notes: The carrots were both easy and delicious. As was the yogurt and garlic. Both took a total of 20 minutes to make, tops. This was a quick meal to prepare. The cauliflower pickled with dill is nice, but very vinegary. I need a better way to drain the vinegar out of my pickles, I think...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two stocks
Over a week and a half, I made both dashi and 'Delicious stock made with soybean sprouts', and tossed both in the freezer, to be used for later cooking. I feel productive about stock making.

Dec 15, 2009 - Delicious Stock made with Soybean Sprouts: During the cooking process.


Ready for freezing.


December 6, 2009: Dashi. On left, ready for freezing. On right, the used kelp and mushrooms, waiting for alternate uses.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday night cooking
On the 6th, I also made Chana dal with cucumbers, cubed eggplant cooked with onion, and cauliflower with zucchini. All to serve as mid-week eating, in case I was too lazy to cook. Only problem, I overdid it. I had enough food to last me the entire week, and didn't cook a single day last week. Which I guess isn't really that much of a problem.

'Stock up for the week' cooking - December 6, 2009: Chana dal with cucumbers, cubed eggplant cooked with onion, and cauliflower with zucchini







The chana dal looks terribly unappetizing, and I have to say, it wasn't my favorite dish. It was edible, but not awesome. Ah well. The cauliflower and eggplant were both tasty, but neither blew my mind away. Of course, that could just be because I had to eat pretty much the same thing all week, and I was really sick of it when done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other miscellaneous cooking:

I made falafel - it fell apart. This is the one whole piece I managed to salvage.

Dec 5, 2009 - Falafel


The rest of them were broken up into crumbs (deep-fried crumbs, mmm... fattening.)


I also made Ginger quick-pickled in soy sauce, which is the only thing I haven't eaten so far.

December 7, 2009: Ginger quick-pickled in soy sauce


That's the roundup.

Incidentally, that makes 49 recipes cooked - 10.12%. First major milestone, the 10% mark. Yay!

No comments: