Sunday, December 06, 2009

Sewing Pattern Review - BWOF 10_2009_115



I love everything about this dress.

When I started sewing this dress, I was determined to do it right. I've been feeling less than satisfied with the last few things I've made (see here and here for examples of the blahs), and I really wanted to make something I was perfectly happy with.

Which I am, about this dress.

Review, then?

Fabric: About a yard and a half of a polyester suiting. I bought this at the $2 table at WalMart over two years ago. It has a bit of a stretch to it. I don't love my fabric, but at the same time, this dress is washable. Trade-offs. For the lining, some gray lining.




Pattern: BWOF 10-2009-115. I made a size 38 on top, and a size 40 for waist and hips.

Pattern notes: This is rated 2.5 dots - but it is easier than that. I think the rating is due to the princess seams? I followed Tany's excellent instructions, that I originally read over a year ago. Still useful and relevant. Little other by way of complication here.

I have either lost some weight, or this sews up larger than I'd expect - once the dress was constructed, I took in a half inch off each side seam, to get it to not hang off me.

And finally, I followed Anne's excellent tip - sew the lining first. Honestly, had that not been already done, I'd have never had enough motivation to keep going. Really great tip.

Time taken: Well, I started this dress in October. Hmm. It honestly didn't take that long - maybe 3, 4 evenings of work? I just couldn't get around to sewing - I've been really busy - work, life, cooking, etc. I also deliberately wanted to not rush - since I really wanted to be happy with the results.

Good things: I really needed a work-appropriate, lined dress. This fits the bill perfectly.

Bad things:
I got none. I'm not over-the-moon about my fabric - that's the best I can do.

(View of the back.)


I've a McCalls pattern cut out, and it looks simple (knit dress, no lining), so hopefully, sometime this week, when I find two hours.

(Oh, and please comment? Comments are fun.)

7 comments:

Christina said...

I love that neckline. Maybe you should make it up in a "nicer" fabric now that you've got the fit down? The style really suits you!

Lilian said...

This dress looks great on you. Especially the fit in the back is great. It's this kind of projects that keeps us going he? Hope your next item works out just as well.

Mimi said...

Awesome! The dress looks fabulous on you and as the previous commenter said, you can do it up in a fabric you like better.

anuradha said...

The dress is AWESOME!I am not too in love with the fabric,love the neckline,you should try with diff.fabric.
Anuradha.

Chicago Sarah said...

Recently I've been re-realizing how nice it is when I take my time and do something correctly the whole way through. Kudos! The dress is very cute, too.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a great dress on you! I know why you love it so much!!!

SEWN said...

Beautiful dress. Well made and very flattering on you. So glad you enjoyed the process. Keep the projects coming!