Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Then and now - my life before the Madhur Jaffrey project...

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

It's been a few months since I talked about cooking, but work continues on cooking this cookbook.

From Weekend crafting
Noodles with spinach and mung-bean sprouts (Jan 30, 2011)


Now, if you remember, I extended my deadline to July 1, 2011. And then, my life became crazy busy in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec, and I barely cooked at all. Which means that I wasted away all my spare time, and I'm once again stuck with a ton of recipes to cook in a very short time. (To be specific, I have 200 recipes left to go, ~140 days to do it in.)

Which brings me to yesterday.

I'm not a morning person, by any means, but yesterday, I:

(1) woke up at 6.30 am.
(2) pulled all the ingredients for a couple of pickles together and started cooking them (frantic cooking!)
(3) looked at the refrigerator, realized my enoki mushrooms needed to be cooked - asap! - and make a soup from the book (the only reason I'm buying enoki mushrooms is the cookbook, sigh.)
(4) soaked chickpeas and wheatberries (again, bought only for the book)
(5) and then left for work.

In the evening, I came back from work, and:
(1) cursed a lot. :)
(2) made a miso soup from the book
(3) made two vegetable recipes from the book
(4) cooked up the chickpeas I'd soaked
(5) cleared up the disaster zone my kitchen had become
(6) and then went to bed.

Ok, fine, I also watched a couple of How I Met Your Mother episodes, and had time to cut out a skirt lining, but that's pretty much it.

I'm now fantasizing about the day this project will be done, and I can once again return to activities like waking up late, sitting on the couch, sewing, watching movies, reading books, and the like.

1 comment:

Clio said...

Sigh. Behind every good meal is a sink full of dirty dishes. At least it looks delicious on your blog!