Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dinner - November 17

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

My first failure.

The plan this evening was that my friend Stu was going to come over to eat dinner with me, bringing with him a copy of Julie and Julia (ask no questions on how these things are possible, since the DVD isn't actually out yet). However, I got back late from work. I'd screwed something up, and was distracted. I was flipping through recipes deciding what to cook while chatting with a friend, and so, by the time Stu was here - all I'd done was add the garlic to the pan. (Significantly, this is the first step.)

Chickpeas with tomatoes, green chilis and garlic sounds easy enough, the kind of recipe you can make in your sleep.

Perhaps it is possible in your sleep, but not when you are trying to maintain a conversation at the same time. I barely read the recipe; I substituted ingredients freely; I added things out of proportion; cooked them out of order, and got the results I deserved.

Dinner - November 17: Chickpeas with garlic, tomatoes and green chilies


I will cook this again, because this should be simple but yummy. My version instead was too tomato-ey, and the tomatoes drowned out all the other flavors. Not inedible, but not finger-licking good either.

Poor Stu. Still, as is almost always the case with my house, there was beer in the frig, and that forgives much.

I really enjoyed the movie. Almost all the reviews I read noted that the Manhattan/Julie bits were slightly annoying, and the France/Julia bits were charming. I tend to agree, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment one bit.

And in sewing news, all I've managed with the BWOF dress is to find the dress fabric in my stash. I have some kitchen clean-up to do now, and then, it is off to bed. I've plans tomorrow, Thursday and Friday, so unless one of my evenings manages to end significantly earlier than I expect, no cutting will get done till Saturday morning. Which is a bit of a bummer. However, since I enjoy having both a social life and friends, this is a good kind of problem to have.

No comments: