Sunday, November 15, 2009

November 14 cooking

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

Biscuit woke me up at the unearthly hour of 8 on Saturday morning*, so I dragged myself into the kitchen, and got to work. I cooked chickpeas for use through the week, and I also cooked 3 kinds of Indonesian sambal.

Now, I have many Life Theories. One of them is that while we might eat in a multi-ethnic manner, for breakfast, we need food similar to the food we grew up eating.

(This is true for me. Your mileage may vary.)

I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I grew up eating savory stuff for breakfast, not sweet. Which is why, I will happily eat cereal for dinner, but cannot abide it for breakfast. I prefer scrambled eggs to pancakes, and I normally eat toast and hash browns at a diner.

Which might explain my very peculiar breakfast. All savory, all delicious.

Breakfast - November 12. From top left to bottom right - Spicy peanut sambal, Sambal tomat (Hot tomato sambal) and Chili sambal, from the book. served with pan-fried tofu and steamed broccoli.



I went out to grab drinks with friends in the evening, and came back home at 2.00am. As is typical for me, I needed a post-drink snack.

My best post-drinking snacks are always potatoes, fried with red chili powder. However, that had the potential to set off the fire-alarm (it was post-drinking, after all) and therefore, I settled for quickly making a yogurt, potato and chickpea snack. Potatoes cooked in the microwave for 12 minutes while I got the rest of the ingredients together.

Post-drinking snack - Yogurt with potatoes and chickpeas in the Delhi style



While it didn't hit the spot quite the same way as fried potatoes, it was nonetheless tasty. My potatoes were a bit rubbery though, and I wonder if that's because of the microwave.

Post-script.

If you are reading this and thinking - this is all great and everything, Reethi, but where the heck is the sewing? - no fear, I'm sewing. I'm currently making an October BWOF dress in a grey fabric for work. (I desperately need chic winter-appropriate, work wear.) I followed Ann's excellent advice, and proceeded to spend a few hours yesterday morning sewing the lining. I love the way the lining fits, (Yay!) and can now proceed to cutting my main fabric and sewing the actual dress.

Here's Biscuit supervising the sewing.



*Although tempting, I did not strangle Biscuit for waking me up at 8. She remains unharmed, and continues to run my life.

2 comments:

AllisonC said...

Hi Reethi you inspired me to dig out my long neglected copy of this cookbook. Wow it is big, so good luck with your project!

anuradha said...

Aww!Bisky looks ADORABLE!!I miss her!Anuradha.