Wednesday, June 30, 2010

And I (sort-of) give up!

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

Ok, here's where it stands.

- I started with 484 recipes to cook.
- I've cooked 174 (~36%) - leaving me 310 recipes to cook in 6 months.

And this is, ladies and gentlemen, the point where I throw my hands up in despair and reexamine this.

I've seen the writing on the wall for a few months now. But I was determined to plow through.

Then, I stopped to think of why I was doing this, and whether I was doing all the other things on my list this year.

I had a theme for the year - a year of consistency. I wanted to clean consistently, cook consistently, sew consistently, and do other things like learn French, attend lectures, etc. The Madhur Jaffrey project has, however, because of its sheer size, taken over. My apartment is a shambles, my Burdas lie untouched (although contributing to that is the sheer suckiness of the offerings in the last six months), and I'm pretty sure Biscuit hates me.

It is time to reconsider.

The goal was to force me to cook new things consistently - so I'm pushing my deadline back. I'm adding 6 months to the clock. Which means I have to cook a managable 6.46 recipes a week. I can do that.

New deadline - July 1st, 2011.

(I spent Monday evening cooking 6 dishes, so I'm almost done for this week. Yay.)

PS: My mom thought I was stressing myself out by cooking all these recipes. That isn't precisely true. I still really enjoy the cooking process, and in a perfect world where the amount of spare time I had was doubled or tripled, I would love to cook 310 recipes in 6 months. However, the stress was that so many things were being left undone, and I didn't feel balanced at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it really is to bad we dont stay in the same town u would have a willing recipient for all the food specially an appreciative audience

anuradha said...

At long last,some common sense prevails!Soon,you will get a list of all my FAVOURITES to make for moi!!